Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Why We Play Fantasy Football




Despite having an almost-unhealthy interest in football, I continue to be in a fantasy football league every year (and usually win it).  I figured I’d spend a few minutes looking over the players in the NFL, just so I had an idea who the hot prospects were.
Instead I spent hours ranking the top players at each position, evaluating their production from last year, their projected points for this year, and what kind of gum they chew.  Yeah right - then I woke up and just downloaded the top 200 list from a top secret sports website complete with bye weeks and printed it out.

I left the Labor Day Draft party and felt really good about my chances.  I had hand picked these guys to represent me during the NFL season.

Flash forward Week 3....  I'm 0-3... And I almost have the most points scored overall (off by 1 pt from leader)....I also have the most points scored against me.  I am a victim of the schedule.

I lost the 2nd week 100 to 92 and in all the other games the highest score was 42!

On Monday night football there are usually 2-3 players that I or others in my league have on their teams.  We know the scores of our games and simply root for our players or against the other teams.  It was pretty funny to see Peyton Manning hit Dallas Clark with a opening-1st play of the game Touchdown.  I KNOW that a lot of people lost their first weeks match in that first 12 seconds of the game. They where settled all in with their first slice of pizza and their frosty beverage and then BAM - you lose.. or YEAH I won... 12 sec into the game.


Our league has a rule that the last place team of each of our 2 divisions will play each other in the first week of our playoffs inwhich is called "The Toilet Bowl".  The loser of "The Toilet Bowl" will have his team named by the winner of the real Super Bowl (in our fantasy league).  The loser of last year's Toilet Bowl gets to sport the team name "80 dollar donation" all year long......

Starting the right guy, making the right choice between 2 players.

Starting the wrong guy, making the dead wrong choice between 2 players.


This is why we play Fantasy Football!