Thursday, October 1, 2009

My broken underground corrugated sump pump pipe and how I fixed it

So I discovered that my sump pump underground pipe had failed a few weeks ago.  I had been noticing that my sump pump was running about every 5 minutes every time it rained and would continue this for several days after even.  I heard some gurgling sounds coming from the ground about 5 yards from the corner of my house.  I looked down and saw a small hole and watched water rise up then go back down the hole.  I knew right away that the corrugated underground pipe was busted and the sump pump water wasn't making it to the storm ditch.  What it was doing was making it's way back into my french drainage around the house and into the sump well.  It just kept pumping the same water!

After a few weeks of putting it off (I'm so good at this), I started digging.  After about 1.5 feet down I discovered the pipe and the problem.  Picture goodness below.

Actually what I found was two nice slices in the pipe.  I have no idea how this could have happened, but just went ahead and cut out the broken part.  After removing some more dirt - I mean mud - I found another broken spot to the right (closer to my house).



I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of furnco's to match the size of the pipe.  I also grabbed about 3' of 2" pvc pipe to use inplace of the broken section.



I measured out the section needing to be replaced and cut my pvc pipe to size.  Added the furnco's on each end and left it for a couple of days to make sure it would hold.  I ran some extra water into the sump well to keep it pumping to check for leaks.

The above picture was taken right after I installed.  The next day the water was gone and the soil was starting to dry even with the extra water I was running through the sump well to test.  Mission accomplished!